Performance Utility Supply is excited to be a part of a project that will benefit thousands of our friends to the south. The Carlsbad Desalination Project consists of a 50 million gallon per day (56,000 acre-feet per year (AFY)) seawater desalination plant and the associated 10-mile water delivery pipeline. The project is located at the Encina Power Station in the City of Carlsbad.
Desalination has evolved into a desirable water supply alternative by tapping the largest reservoir in the world - the Pacific Ocean. The technology, available for decades, is at work in many arid areas of the world including the Middle East, the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. A 30-year Water Purchase Agreement is in place between the San Diego County Water Authority (SDCWA) and Poseidon for the entire output of the plant. Construction on the plant and pipeline is under way and the Project will be delivering water to the businesses and residents in San Diego County by 2016.
WE NEED WATER
State, regional and local water plans all have confirmed that immediate and pressing water needs cannot be accomplished without some investment in seawater desalination.
- The project will provide 56,000 AFY of new water supply for the San Diego region.
- The CA Department of Water Resources’ 2009 Water Plan Update identifies the need for 275,000 AF of desalinated water by 2025.
- The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s Integrated Water Resources Plan identifies a need for 150,000 AFY of seawater desalination (including 56,000 AFY from the Carlsbad project) by the year 2020.
- The San Diego County Water Authority’s (SDCWA) Urban Water Management Plan identifies a need for 56,000 AFY of seawater desalination from the Carlsbad project by 2016.
THE BENEFITS OF THE DESALINATION PLANT
The Carlsbad City Council found that “the desalination plant serves an extraordinary public purpose.”
- Provides high quality drinking water that will compare favorably with existing water supplies.
- Generates up to $5.3 million per year in increased property and business tax revenues.
- 2,300 construction jobs and 500 new permanent jobs.
The project will advance the goals of the Coastal Act to maintain, restore and enhance public access and recreation and maintain, restore and enhance the marine environment through the dedication of more than 15 acres of lagoon and ocean front land for public purposes.
Poseidon Water has contracted with a joint venture of Kiewit Infrastructure West and J.F. Shea Construction, Inc., to design and build the desalination plant and pipeline. IDE Technologies, Ltd., a world leader in desalination technology and operations, will engineer the desalination plant’s design and equipment and handle plant operations.
Construction on the plant began in late 2012 and pipeline construction began in spring of 2013. Pipeline installation is currently underway in Carlsbad and Vista. In San Marcos, construction is nearing completion as crews are working to restore and repave streets where pipeline installation occurred. To keep the public informed about the progress of construction, Poseidon Water will provide regular construction updates on this website related to timing and potential detours and closures. Poseidon Water will work to minimize impacts to nearby businesses, residents, and commuters during construction. We appreciate your patience during this vital water supply project.
Performance Utility Supply started supplying materials to the Carslbad Desalination Project in April 2013 and is still delivering approximately once a week. Materials include:
- Various sizes of SCH40 conduit, fittings, bends, segments
- Various sizes of GRC coated conduit and bends
- Duct spacers, plugs, custom made reducers, junction box adapters
Here is an introduction video to the Carlsbad Desalination Plant Project:
But let's get into what us dirt heads are really all about: Construction and Toys. Here is a drone flying over the project January 2014:
There is a wealth of information you can find on the Carlsbad Desalination Project Website. Besides that, they have Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone up-to-date. All construction photos are courtesy and copyright CarlsbadDesal on Flickr.
About Poseidon Water
Poseidon Water specializes in developing and financing water infrastructure projects, primarily seawater desalination and water treatment plants. Poseidon’s projects are implemented through innovative public-private partnerships that link private financing with the construction and operation of water supply and treatment projects.